Saturday, October 30, 2010

Essence

We all have our own experiences of being victims of routine. We become lukewarm with what we do and we suddenly feel the loss of drive to do things. When this happens we feel like we are machines trapped inside a system of unending cycles with no feeling of significance or fulfillment.

Nothing is more frustrating than to have a feeling of insignificance. It is a time when we feel that we are no longer making a difference in the lives that we are living.

I am a teacher by profession, by choice and by vocation. Considering the scheme of things, at times I would end up feeling that reporting to school is no different from the rat race. What makes me go on? Well, I have been teaching for the past five years and frankly speaking if we let structure, co-workers, principals and even meddlesome parents get in the way we will definitely shrink and end up as nothing. What makes me go on is the fact that I have my students. They are the totality of what strengthens me in the journey. They are the purpose and essence why I choose to carry out in the day-to-day undertakings of the school year. They give meaning and significance to who I am and what I do. Having this thought in mind, I am reminded that my daily experiences with them will make me a day wiser with fulfillment, realizing that I became a contributor in the molding if their lives.

How about you? What is your essence?

No comments:

Post a Comment